Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Homemade Ricotta Cheese

I just wanted to let everyone know that the homemade ricotta cheese came out really well. I got the recipe from a cheese magazine at wholefoods. I had been wanting to make the cheese for sometime because I knew there couldn't be much to it.

I doubled their recipe using:

1/2 Gal Whole milk
1 C Heavy cream
4 T Lemon juice
salt to taste

Heat the first three ingredients at medium heat until they reach 205 degrees. Remove from heat and let stand for 15 for the curds to form. When I did this the milk mixture actually started to boil (being at 2700 ft) but the pot still made it to 205 on my insta-read thermometer.

Place a cheese cloth or coffee filter in a strainer and then scoop the curds out of the pot and into the strainer. I used a fine sieve and a chinois to let the whey drain out in this step. allow the liquid to drain. Transfer to a bowl add salt to taste and then place in an airtight container.

I served this with Port Poached Figs:

1 bottle of Port
1-2 Cups Dried Black mission figs, cut in half
1 cinnamon stick

place port in a medium pot with the cinnamon stick and bring to a simmer. Add the figs and reduce heat to low for about 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon remove the figs and place in a storage container. Continue simmering the port until you have about 1/2-3/4 cup of reduced liquid. Pour reduced port over figs and cover. I let mine marinate overnight.

Serve the figs with a quenelle of fresh ricotta and some nice seeded crackers for a quick and satisfying dessert.

1 comment: